Pls help propagating Spider plant

Christoph Metelmann chandvel at inet.uni-c.dk
Sat Jun 8 23:05:21 EST 1996

In message 8 Jun 1996 21:41:47 GMT,
  d_micro at ix.netcom.com (Michael L Roginsky )  writes:

> In <31af7cbb.3291890 at news.concentric.net> an605185 at anon.penet.fi.
> writes:
>

>>  Where do uou take a cutting from on a spider plant and how do you root
>>  it? TIA.
>>

> Hi....what is a spider plant? Genus? I know of the spider lilly, but
> never heard of it referred to as a plant. Micro.

Hi,

Now wait a minute - I know the spider lilly as belonging to the
Amaryllidaceae under the name of Hymenocallis occidentalis and it grows in
the SE part of the US.

Spider Plant on the other hand belongs to the Liliaceae and is called
Chlorophytum comosum.  This is an indoor plant here in Denmark.  I usually
wait until it blooms during the winter time and then the plant starts to
develop new plants on long shoots.  Those I cut off and put into a glass of
water until I see roots develop.  Then put it into a pot and done.

Chris.