damaged apple tree

Joanne Koch jkoch at usgs.gov
Tue Jun 11 08:25:35 EST 1996

I have a young apple tree in my yard that in the past three years has just begun
to produce fruit. The tree branches off into a "Y". Last fall a bear broke one
side of the "Y" from the tree. We put the limb back on the tree, put putty and
tape around the the joining area and were able to save the entire tree. The tree
has bloomed and is producing fruit again this year. My question is, what should
we do at this point. Should we leave the putty and tape? And if so, for how
long? Or is there an alternative to the putty/tape? And, will the tree scar
around the area where it broke?