damaged apple tree

Mike Hardman mike at ionia.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 02:37:47 EST 1996

Joanne Koch wrote:

> I have a young apple tree in my yard that in the past three years has just begun
> to produce fruit. The tree branches off into a "Y". Last fall a bear broke one
> side of the "Y" from the tree. We put the limb back on the tree, put putty and
> tape around the the joining area and were able to save the entire tree. The tree
> has bloomed and is producing fruit again this year. My question is, what should
> we do at this point. Should we leave the putty and tape? And if so, for how
> long? Or is there an alternative to the putty/tape? And, will the tree scar
> around the area where it broke?

Depending on the girth of the trunk at the top of the split,
I'd suggest you bolt the two sides together, using largish washers to spread the force a
little and save chewing-up the surface as you tighten.  Maybe two bolts - depends on
the length of the split.  Leave them there permanently - they will eventually get grown
over.  With your existing 'solution' you should pretty well never remove it either - the
fork will always be weak - though the tape would have to be loosened periodically.

Good luck