Pls help propagating Spider plant

barkeep at xs4all.nl barkeep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 13 21:34:17 EST 1996

"Christoph Metelmann" <chandvel at inet.uni-c.dk> wrote:

>> Hi....what is a spider plant? Genus? I know of the spider lilly, but
>> never heard of it referred to as a plant. Micro.

>Now wait a minute - I know the spider lilly as belonging to the
>Amaryllidaceae under the name of Hymenocallis occidentalis and it grows in
>the SE part of the US.

I think he was joking.

>Spider Plant on the other hand belongs to the Liliaceae and is called
>Chlorophytum comosum.  This is an indoor plant here in Denmark.  I usually
>wait until it blooms during the winter time and then the plant starts to
>develop new plants on long shoots.  Those I cut off and put into a glass of
>water until I see roots develop.  Then put it into a pot and done.

You are correct and what I wrote earlier (about cutting, trimming
leaves and putting upside down in water) was wrong, I thought we were
talking about Cyperusm, but it's Chlorophytum that is referred to as
Spiderplant.

Wolf

--
Interesting site http://www.xs4all.nl/~barkeep/balkon.html