taro or eddo?

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 13 09:49:12 EST 1996

>I bought a eddo or taro root at Stop and Shop the other day. I have been
>having trouble finding info on how to use it.  I know they make poi out
>of them.....any info would be most appreciated.

Do not eat it raw!  Colocasia contains calcium oxalate crystals which
will broduce burning and swelling in the mouth.  It's  got to be cooked and
pounded in some tedious process in order to be edible.  Check  a Hawaiian or
Polynesian cookbook or someone who  would have the reicpe.  You might even
find some of the steps in an encylcopedia.

Monique Reed