taro or eddo?

Beverly Erlebacher bae at oci.utoronto.ca
Fri Jun 14 11:06:55 EST 1996

In article <4pougu$1hm at news.esslink.com> Carol Hanny <channy at esslink.com> writes:
>I bought a eddo or taro root at Stop and Shop the other day. I have been
>having trouble finding info on how to use it.  I know they make poi out
>of them.....any info would be most appreciated.

Eddoes are sometimes called "Chinese potatoes".  You can cook them
by boiling, usually in a stew or curry or some such.  They are a
very popular food in the Caribbean - perhaps you can find a recipe
in a West Indian cookbook.

I don't think they are all that toxic.  A friend had a cat that used
to 'steal' eddoes out of a bag under the sink, roll them around the
floor and eat parts of them raw.  Cats are pretty good about learning
from bad experiences.

You can also plant the tubers and grow some very nice house or patio
plants from them.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada