taro or eddo?

m.lee mikaline at netcom.com
Thu Jun 13 21:28:22 EST 1996

Carol Hanny (channy at esslink.com) wrote:
: I bought a eddo or taro root at Stop and Shop the other day. I have been
: having trouble finding info on how to use it.  I know they make poi out
: of them.....any info would be most appreciated.

: Carol

It's probably one of the lower oxylates - especially if it's cylindrical,
whitish flesh with purple flecks.   In the South Pacific it's baked in an
earth or rock oven and served sliced as a starch vegetable.

Poi began as famine food - they still do the same pound and bury with
breadfruit in the low islands.  What they don't tell you is that the
fermentation that occurs gives a mild kick, if there's no other alcohol
around :)

ml. who ate her share of dalo and would go back for more