Dutch Elm Disease Treatment

Larry Daley daleyl at bcc.orst.edu
Wed Jun 12 11:04:44 EST 1996

To all:

Prof. Gary Strobel (Plant Pathology, Montana State Univ., Bozeman, MT
59717) worked out a method to p[rotect against Dutch Elm disease using a
bioengineered endophytic bacteria Pseudomonas spp. It worked but he ran
into regulatory troubles.  Treated trees have lasted as long as ten years
without infection.  The work done in Holland with non transformed strains
of Pseudomanas had some success, but is not considered to be as effective.

Regulations have changed a lot since then and now are more accepting of
bioengineered strains of bacteria.  It is about time that this method was
released for general use.

Larry Daley