Madagascar Palm

Bob Denelzen bobbyd at peg.apc.org
Sun Jun 16 06:36:43 EST 1996

Henk Beentje wrote:
>Mike Maxson <MAXSON at pe.net> writes:
>
>>I have a palm called Dypsis baronii (Neodypsis compactus) from
>>Madagascar. The  palm is in a one gl. pot and is only about 1
>>foot tall and is starting to branch. I know this palm is known
>>to branch but is it normal to branch this early.
>
>I have seen it branch in the wild, usually pretty close to the ground. It's
>rare, though, for baronii to branch. I wouldn't expect more than one
>branching point either - if you have more you might have D. lutescens
>or D. andrianatonga. They're almost impossible to tell apart when sterile.
>
>Henk

the plant you are refering to is Neodypsis baronii or our common name for it
is "Dwarf Golden cane"  the golden cane is "Chrysalidocarpus lutescens". the
N baronii grows to aprox 3mtrs prefers some shade and is much branched or suckered
it has quite long gracefull leaves with an off white to yellow leaf base when
young, it is slow growing when young and is slow to establish itself in the
garden but once established growth is quite good.

Bob Denelzen
bobbyd at peg.apc.org