Eucalyptus Kybeanensis?

Helen+Paul nahrunh at citec.qld.gov.au
Mon Jun 17 00:01:41 EST 1996

It is nice to hear that someone overseas likes our Australian Eucalypts.
I love driving around our big country seeing all those different Eucs.

According the Flora of NSW: Eucalyptus kybeanensis (Kybean Mallee) is an
evergreen shrub/tree, to 6m tall with "Juvenile leaves disjunct,
lanceolate, glossy green.  Adult leaves disjunct, lanceolate...green,
glossy or semi-glossy..." So, there wouldn't appear to be a big
distinction between the juvenile and mature leaves.  "Locally frequent
but restricted, in mallee shrubland on shallow sandy soil, south from
Kybean. ST [Southern Tablelands of NSW]; [eastern] Vic".  The description
is boringly technical and does not even state the colour of the flowers.
 I can't find a decent map of sthn NSW, but Latitude 35-37 degrees S is
roughly correct and altitude 500-1000 metres (?) would be the likely
situation.  In that neck of the woods, it gets very cold in winter (below
zero over-night). The summer are warm/very warm and dry, the winters cold
and wet.  If a nuresery has bothered to grow that species, I think you
are safe in trying to grow it. Perhaps protect it during winter (eg.
plastic or shade-cloth cover) until it is 3 or 4 years old.  I hope
this info helps, Good Luck!

Paul Kristiansen
Dept. of Natural Resources
Brisbane, Australia