Mutch's Hypothesis

Mike Dockry mjd13
Fri Jun 21 11:08:58 EST 1996

I think that Mutch's hypothesis has merit, however I feel that plants
have different chemical compositions for many different reasons.  Munch
made no effort to see if the flamable compounds in the leaves were to
promote fire, repel insects, attract insects, etc...  There are
examples of species that have flamable foliage in ecosystems that do
not burn frequently ie eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis).  Therefore I
do not subscribe to his theory but it has brought up many intresting
ideas about fire and its role in the ecosystem.