Joshua Tree

Annette & Scott Ranger ranger at america.net
Sat Jun 22 14:16:22 EST 1996

Marc Berg wrote:

> Hi...hope we're in the right area. Wondering if anyone can tell us about
> the Joshua Tree....ie where it grows, if it would be possible to
> transplant in a climate like Canada, and any other info. Thanks in
> advance, mb

Joshua tree, Yucca brevifolia Englemn. in Wats., thrives in what has been called the
Joshua tree woodlands of the Mojave desert.  It extends northward to the Owens Valley
on the east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains and eastward to southwest Utah and
parts of western Arizona.  It's elevation range is from aabout 2,000 to 6,000 feet.
Perhaps the most useful thing to be said about its range habitats is that it always
grows on desert alluvium, usually on the flats or small slopes.  All of the range has
definite frosts each year, usually into the low 20's, so moderate cold doesn't affect
it.  Into the teens and lower for extended periods would probably be detrimental.  I
doubt it would be too happy at your place, but what the heck, try it!  Even if it only
lasts a few years, it sure would be different than anything else there!
Scott Ranger