2 species or one?

Annette & Scott Ranger ranger at america.net
Sat Jun 22 14:07:49 EST 1996

Jennifer M. Thompson wrote:

> I am wondering if Rubia tinctoria L. and Rubia tinctorum (L.) are the
> same species or if they're actually two different species?
>
> Jennifer

Kartesz' 1994 Checklist only includes Rubia tinctoria L. for North America.  Rubia
brownei, R. peregrina, R. walteri are all now considered Galium hispidulum.  Since your
authority for R. tinctorum has L. in parentheses, there must be another name as the
parenthetic L. credits Linneaus for first naming the species, but the author for this
change must be included.  My guess is that R. tinctorum (L.) is a mistake.

Scott Ranger