do you know where these plants are?

Jennifer M. Thompson jennifer at aec.env.gov.ab.ca
Wed Jun 26 16:39:45 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960625094838.14196E-100000 at ava.bcc.orst.edu>, Larry Daley <daleyl at bcc.orst.edu> says:

>These all are species of interest to my work on plant germplasm to support
>agricultural uses, since they have interesting and useful biochemical
>properties, and, as you note, they are plants of economic interest.  Could
>you share your interests in them.

I am involved in a weed biocontrol study on Galium spurium (False
Cleavers) that is just beginning this year at the Alberta Environmental
Centre, Alberta, Canada.  We are going to import a gall mite from Europe
(Cecidophye galii) that feeds on the weed there to see if it will control
the weed here.  However, the first step is to make up a list of plant
species that may be in danger of also being fed upon by this mite and
testing to see if the mite responds to them.  I am working on the list of
plants to be tested and the ones that are the most important are the
species that are closely related to cleavers i.e. members of the same
family.  Since we cannot test every plant out there, the list was narrowed
down to those plants which people might be the most worried about, which
would include those of economic value.  I wanted to know their distribution
in North America to make it easier to get hold of seeds, because it is the
seeds I need to send to Europe so they can grow the plants there and do the '
testing.

Jennifer Thompson