Moses In The Boat

Frank W. Kafer kafer at crl.com
Fri Mar 1 00:56:11 EST 1996

wether at cebaf.gov (DMW Software) wrote:

>Hi all,

>  I have been trying to find the following answer for quite some
>time now:

>  I bought a "Moses In the Boat" plant in 9th grade and it's children
>are still living now (I have on in my office).  When I first got it
>it was small (in a stryophone cup) and had a beautiful bloom that
>was shaped like a little canoe with little flowers that looked like
>people sitting it it.

>  I have never seen this bloom again since the ninth grade.  I give it
>sunlight and plant food but still nothing happens.

>  Does anyone know what I could do to see this again, or even the
>technical name of the plane would be a help.  Thanks.

>Dave  -  wether at cebaf.gov

Dave --

The name "Moses in the Boat" was so eye catching, I had to look it
up. Botanic name is Rhoeo spathacea in the family Commelinaceae.
Other common name is Moses-in-the-cradle.  Perennial outdoors in
Western Sunset zones 12-24 (pretty warm), or indoors (which you
already know).  (Source: Sunset Western Garden Book , March 1995)
If you live in the western US, this is the gardners/plant lovers
"bible".

FWK