Plants and music

Mendocino Middle School Lab search at mcn.org
Fri Mar 1 16:07:45 EST 1996

To whom it may concern,

         Hello, I am a eighth grader at the Mendocino Middle School in
northern California. I am researching a project on how plants respond to
different types of music. I am interested about whether certain plants
will produce more crops, or put out more growth when treated to different
types of music. Or, if the plants will die, or wilt. I chose this topic
because I have been around plants all my life and would like to find out
about different ways to grow them. This subject has always had some
interest to me, and when I saw the topic from a list of possible topics I
immediately focused on it.

I already know about :
*the experiments included in *The Secret Life Of Plants*  by Peter
Tompkins and Christopher Bird,
*that some plants subjected to music have thrived or wilted,
*how sound travels and how the human ear receives it,
*how pitch and frequency are included in sound waves.

I am interested in knowing about:
*tests that have been previously done,
*how plants interpret sound,
*whether plants have been more affected when the music is applied to seeds
and sprouts, or when they are fully out of the ground,
*why do people think that *The Secret Life Of Plants* isn¹t science,
*any other information, web sites???

Please understand that although I am using library resources, our school
is limited by lack of periodicals, and contemporary resources, but we do
have full internet access.

We here at MMS are putting together a list of previously written letters
by subject matter, and we would be happy to add your correspondence to the
list *if* you give your approval. You need to tell us whether or not you
wish to include your name and/or return e-mail address with the letter so
that other students who are interested in the topic in the future might
get in touch with you or at least know who wrote the letter. Please write
back to search at mcn.org, previously written letters are being compiled at
http://www.mcn.org/ed/earch under the curriculum section by Mitch Sprague.

Sincerely,
Danae Havice-Hull

--
This message sent from the Mendocino Middle School Lab
Please write postmaster at mail.mms.mendocino.k12.ca.us if