Transpiration in Plants

Roderick Ferguson rafergus at ibl.bm
Sat Mar 2 05:03:59 EST 1996

Experiment Investigating the Effects of Surface Area and Wind Speed on
the Rate of Transpiration

I have come to the following conclusions in my investigation and I would
appreciate if someone would e-mail me, to confirm my conclusions:

1.  Surface Area is proportional to the rate of transpiration due to the
direct effect which it has on evaporation, and therefore the rate at
which the water escapes from the stomatal air spaces of the leaves of
the plant.

2.  Wind Speed is also proportional to the rate of transpiration between
no air movement and a low wind speed such as 2.5 mph.  However, it
begins to reach a limit, and curves to become a logarithmic graph, as it
rapidly reaches it's maximum effect and therefore maximum rate.  This is
due to the wind speed increasing the speed at which water vapour is
moved away from the air around the leaf.  At a certain wind speed, the
water molecules are moved away from the plant at such a speed that the
air surrounding the stomatal air spaces always has a  humidity of 0%,
and therefore the wind speed has reached it's maximum effect.  I think
that this must be due to a limiting factor.  Could it possibly be
surface area?

I would really appreciate a response.  Thank you very much

Roderick Ferguson,
Bermuda