Distribution of Milkweeds (Asclepias) in Canada?

Phil Schappert philjs at yorku.ca
Sat Mar 2 11:05:38 EST 1996

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to write a report on the current status and
conservation issues surrounding the Monarch butterfly in Canada.
The impetus for the report is the recent Canada-Mexico-U.S.
agreement on conservation of the Monarch as a migratory species.

I'm examining the following issues:

1. What is the status of the Monarch in Canada? Range data,
population sizes, broods, phenology, staging areas, etc. A
correlate of this is the same type of data on Asclepiadaceae in
Canada...

2. What are the conservation issues concerning Monarchs in
Canada? The following are possibilities for comments: global
warming and changes in CO2 levels, land use pattern changes,
weed control legislation, inappropriate use of hosts (ie. the
invasive weed, Cynanchum (Vincetoxicum) nigra (Black Swallow-wort or
Dog-strangling Vine), is beginning to be of concern in Ontario),
population size variability, genetic bottlenecks, etc.

3. Are there any proposals to deal with any of these issues?

4. What are the most important areas for international
co-operation which would help to address some of the issues in
Canada?

I'm particularly interested in responses from Canadians (or
those in northern states) but will appreciate all ideas or
comments. Any help would be appreciated...

Many thanks,

Phil
---
Phil Schappert