orange seeds-germination

Randall P. Niedz rniedz at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Thu Mar 7 08:07:39 EST 1996

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996 BMACDDCL at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU wrote:

> I have some orange seeds (from an orange grown in Jamaica) and would like to ge
> rminate them indoors and then grow me some orange trees.  Please tell me what t
> o do.  I looked for a gardening newsgroup but couldn't find one.  Thanks.
>
> Diana Lillig

Diana.

Peel the seeds and plant in any standard seed germination mix.  Orange
seeds take about 2-3 weeks to germinate at room temp.  One problem you
will have is that oranges, and most citrus in general, have a long
juvenile phase before the tree will flower.  This means your orange tree
will not bloom for many years and will be very thorny (thorns up to 2 cm).
Commercial growers graft orange buds onto rootstocks which promotes
earlier flowering.  If the type of citrus is not important I would
recommend something like 'Key' lime (also called the 'Mexican' lime).  It
will bloom within 1-2 years, is attractive, fragrant, and the fruit can be
used in drinks and pie. The lime that commonly available in stores is the
'Tahiti' or 'Persian' lime.  It larger than the 'Key' lime.  The 'Key'
lime's flavor is very distinctive and unlike the 'Tahiti' lime.  The fruit
is yellow when ripe.  Another trait of 'Key' limes is that they tend to
flower continuously.  The only problem is they tend to remain thorny,
thought the thorns are not that large.  There are reportedly thornless
varieties.

R. Niedz
USDA, ARS
Orlando, FL