Rice in a greenhouse or growth chamber

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 14:26:10 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/plants #745, from areeves at lamar.colostate.edu, 2158 chars, 22
Mar 1996 18:34:41
> ----------
> Article: 9266 of bionet.plants

!csn!news-1.csn.net!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!lerc.nasa.gov!purdue!yuma!
usenet
> From: Aaron Reeves <areeves at lamar.colostate.edu>
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants,bionet.biology.grasses
> Subject: Rice in a greenhouse or growth chamber
> Date: 22 Mar 1996 18:34:41 GMT
>
>     We are trying to grow rice (O. sativa- indica IR 36) under
> greenhouse conditions or in a growth chamber, and have met with little
> success so far.  Seedlings are growing in a soil/perlite (1:1) mix at
> about 32 degrees C with 24-hr illumination.  We placed pots (3-4" in
> diameter and about 4" high) in a hydroponic solution with a pH of 5.5,
> which we top off with water daily and replace weekly.  Pots are always
> in 1-2" of solution.  We've tried several different solution
> formulations, none of which has given good results.
>      Our worst problem has been the onset of chlorosis in our
seedlings,
> typically before they are 3 weeks old.  We suspect that this is an
iron
> deficiency, but foliar feeding with a chelated iron solution has not
> helped.
>     Does anyone know of a good protocol for growing rice in a
> greenhouse/growth chamber (temp, humidity, pH, lighting, nutrients)?
Is
> there anything apparently wrong with what we've done so far?  We'd
> appreciate any advise that anyone might have to offer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Aaron
>
> ------------------------------
> Aaron Reeves
> Graduate Teaching Assistant
> Department of Biology
> Colorado State University
> Fort Collins, CO 80523
> areeves at lamar.colostate.edu

Hi,
We used to grow rice here in UK in glasshouse conditions in a 2 gallon
plastic bucket in soil with a layer of 3 - 4 in water with few problems.
Suggestions, anything grown on a small scale can have serious nutrient,
pH, temp changes. Try rinsing the perlite through thoroughly before
starting up.
Good luck,
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,