Tomato tree

Eric Grunden egrunden at prairienet.org
Sat Mar 30 18:02:36 EST 1996

In a previous article, sjohnson at biosci.mbp.missouri.edu () says:

>	I recently saw an ad. for the amazing New Zealand tomato tree.  Has
>anyone heard of it, or is it just a crock?

				*******

I recently toured the plant bio. greenhouses here at the Univ. of IL
and they had a tomato tree in the main atrium. It was tall, had both
tomatoes and blossoms, and the sign listed the scientific name as
Solonaceae "    " (I can't remember) so it is actually in the same
genus as tomato. I don't know if that is a "New Zealand" tomato
tree, but there is such a thing as a tomato tree and it bears
tomatoes (much to my surprise).