Peach Tree: need help

weikel weikel at rohan.sdsu.edu
Sat Mar 30 13:06:07 EST 1996

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but this is the closest
group I could find related to gardening.

I live in an apartment and have a dwarf peach tree growing on
my balcony, in a huge pot.  I bought it last May, and it had lots
of leaves and a few peaches.

Now that spring has started again, it has formed lots of blossoms,
but no leaves.  Actually, there are some leaves, but they are near
the roots, not on the branches.  I started snipping these off, but
there are still no leaves on the branches.  One of the blossoms
has already formed into a tiny (5mm) green peach.

Also, there are bugs in the soil.  They are those bugs with the
grey armored bodies that roll into spheres when threatened.
We call them potato bugs or pill bugs.  Are these harmfull?  None
of my other plants have this problem so I assume they came with
the tree.  I've been picking them out of the soil.  I'm sorry
that I don't know the scientific name for them, but I can
provide a more detailed description.

Also, I live in San Diego, California, and the tree grew blossoms
about tree weeks ago.  I've been mixing Miracle Grow in with its
water, and watering everytime the soil is dry about an inch
deep.  (About once every two month in dry weather.  Thanks
for any information you can provide me with.