Tomato tree

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. raiar at inlink.com
Sun Mar 31 22:37:03 EST 1996

<sjohnson at biosci.mbp.missouri.edu> wrote:

>	I recently saw an ad. for the amazing New Zealand tomato tree.  Has
>anyone heard of it, or is it just a crock?

Oh, it exists, not a bad price either.  Trouble is, they sure don't
taste like tomatoes, and they do freeze out in the winter in such
climates.

I tried to find the botanical name to no avail.

I am just guessing here, but I assume it came to be, similar to the
way a bed of ivy, on occasion will form an ivy tree, and was
cultivated from there and hybridized or whatever to get the product
they are currently marketing as a tomatoe tree.

I was suckered into four of them two years ago.  They did look nice,
did bear fruit, quite a lot in fact, but as I said, they sure didn't
taste like tomatoes....

TTUL
Gary