Can you ID plant called "mespealis"/"mespelus"?

Larry Daley daleyl at bcc.orst.edu
Tue May 28 17:34:54 EST 1996

Shane:

I have taken the liberty of cross posting this to soc.culture.cuba there
are people in this group who can really tell how great nispero tastes.

Mespel is the Virgin islands name for the fruit best known as nispero,
sapodilla, and many other common names.  The scientific name is Manilkara
zapota (L.) v. Royen.  Chewing gum is made mainly from the latex of this
tree. "The rough-skinned berry contains 1-5 or sometimes more flattened
elliptic shiny black or brown seeds 3/4-1 inch long with a white scar on
inner edge.  Flowering and fruiting nearly through the year"

Data taken from Little, E. Jr. and F. H. Wadsworth 1964. Common trees of
Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, USDA handbook No. 249, U.S.Department
of Agriculture, Forest Service. p. 446.

This book is available from Frank H. Wadsworth for about $25 plus
postage. Frank's address is:

Calle Sacarello 1016
Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico, 00924.

Can you tell about the historic document. My ancestors were being hunted
in Cuba by the evil Count of Valmaseda in the 1860's and my grandfather
Calixto (Garcia-I~niguez) Enamorado wrote a prize winning novel about it in
1917.

Larry Daley Garcia-I~niguez