Rate of Diffusion.

Paul Clark pj.clark at zetnet.co.uk
Sun Nov 3 08:34:07 EST 1996

I am doing an Investigation on the rate which diffusion occurs in a
living cell.  I was woundering if any one had any idears on the
experiment.  I have already looked on the World Wide Wide but, it's
mainly people talking about university lectures and talking in a
language of university standard biological terms  which seem's to be
a foreign language, without further expaination.

I understand the basic principles of Ficks's law and the factors that
effect the experiment although, I'm am still unable to decide on an
experiment to prove these factors.

I have found this experiment already although it has a limitation
with the measuring the diffusion rate, and it would not produce a set
of results very easily.

By dissolving gelatin the unfairness supplied by the loose molecule
structure of water is reduced.   10 grams of gelatin is dissolved in
100 grams of hot water and the solution is poured into test tubes to
half fill them.  2 grams of the gelatin is coloured with methylene
blue and as soon as the first layer of gelatin is set firmly, a
narrow layer of blue gelatin is poured on to it.  When the blue layer
have set the rest of the clear gelatin and cooled quickly.  The blue
methylened gelatin is sandwiched between the two layers of clear gelatin.

Pj.clark at zetnet.co.uk