So-called Lebanese Cress

Richard Wright richardw at mpx.com.au
Fri Nov 8 23:03:28 EST 1996

Can somebody help me (I'm not a botanist) identify an edible
herb. I bought it at a nursery as "Lebanese Cress", with the
genus name of Aethionema. This genus belongs to the
Cruciferae, or cabbage family.

Now that it is flowering with white umbels I can see that
the plant is a member of the Umbelliferae family, which
includes parsley and carrot.

The plant has pinnate leaves up to 30cm long. It spreads by
creeping runners and tastes pleasantly of a cross between
parsnip and parsley.

I have read (with no description) of a Middle Eastern
"cress" that belongs to the genus Sium. I wonder whether
this is it.