BEN # 150

Adolf Ceska aceska at CUE.BC.CA
Fri Nov 22 05:05:55 EST 1996

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N             BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN             ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             NEWS

No. 150                              November 22, 1996

aceska at freenet.victoria.bc.ca        Victoria, B.C.
 Dr. A. Ceska, P.O.Box 8546, Victoria, B.C. Canada V8W 3S2

J.E. (TED) UNDERHILL - CHANGING OF THE GUARD
From: Kerry Joy <kjoy at galaxy.gov.bc.ca>

J.E.  (Ted)  Underhill died at the beginning of November in Vic-
toria at age 77. Ted worked in British  Columbia  Parks  as  the
first  park's  naturalist  from  1958 to 1982. He researched and
built many of the fine displays presented to  park  visitors  in
nature houses throughout the park system. Many of those displays
live  on  in  concept  form  and are still on display today. His
seemingly unlimited enthusiasm, innovation, and energy  inspired
many  others  to provide British Columbia Parks with fresh ideas
for interpretation programs, signs, and brochures. In his  spare
time,   Ted   wrote  many  popular  books  on  natural  history,
wildflower and mushroom identification, and wine  making.  These
were  illustrated  with  his own photos, drawings and paintings.
Many of the interpretation pamphlets  B.C.  Parks  produces  for
public use today were originally written and illustrated by Ted.

GRADE 3 PROJECT: MOSS ON TREES - CORRECTION [BEN # 147]
From: Rachel c/o Robyn Ryman <ryman at interlog.com>

I  am amazed to see that I am part of your Newsletter. The prin-
cipal of my school and my teacher thought it was very cool  too!
My  Mummy  said to tell you that the URL is not quite correct as
you missed out our school's name. Here is the correct one:
http://www.interlog.com/~rosedale/moss.htm

BRITISH COLUMBIA GOVERNMENT WORRIED ABOUT OUR FORESTS IN 1937
From: Official Bulletin  of  the  Society  for  Preservation  of
   Native Plants of British Columbia, 5(1937): 4-5.

(The  following  segment is selected from statements made by the
Chief Forester to the Forestry Committee, XIXth Session  of  the
British Columbia Legislature, November 3, 1937)

Present conditions are a definite menace to the future of:
(1)  Our recreational interests
(2)  Our forest industries

1. The  TOURIST TRADE is important, and to maintain it satisfac-
torily, forest cover must be maintained to meet the requirements
of the HUNTER, the FISHERMAN and the man who delights merely  to
CAMP and regain his health in God's great outdoors.

   "When the land along the banks of the stream is denuded of
   timber,  the moisture is not held in the ground and in the
   streams throughout the year, which condition  causes  many
   of  the  valuable  fisheries' streams to dry up in the hot
   summer months." (Major  Motherwell,  Chief  Supervisor  of
   Fisheries)

   "It  is  a  well-known  fact  that  where an area has been
   logged off and no suitable cover is provided for the game,
   there is very little possibility of  obtaining  or  seeing
   game  in  such  logged-off  areas  until the second growth
   appears." (Mr. R.F. Butler, Game Commission)

2. FOREST INDUSTRIES: Today  the  South  Coast  region  of  B.C.
supplies 55% of the total lumber production in Canada; last year
the lumber was worth 36 million dollars.

With  only 3% of the area of British Columbia tillable; with her
small  population;  with  her  greatest  manufacturing  industry
dependent  upon forest products, - will she realize before it is
too late that there is only one course open to her? She  has  no
other choice than to manage her forests.

Our  Economic  Council finds that out of every dollar now circu-
lated in the Province by our primary industries,  including  all
our manufacturing, 37 cents is derived from forest resources.

Note:

(a) Our  great Douglas fir lumber industry will be definitely on
    the down grade within fifteen years at the present  rate  of
    cutting.
(b) There are 1.5 million acres of logged-over land in the Coast
    District, at least half of which are leaving to our children
    in a barren or only semi-productive condition.
(c) Probably  60% of the areas being logged under present condi-
    tions will remain barren or unsatisfactorily stocked  for  a
    long  time. If we permit this piling up of barren areas, the
    province is going to  suffer  serious  economic  and  social
    damage.
(d) We are now losing a million dollars a year in labour on logs
    exported, over which we have no control.

Forest policy:

In  1910 the Royal Commission of Forestry found that "there must
be exercised a firm control over methods under which the present
crop is removed."

To date, little control has been exercised over logging  on  the
coast.  The  application  of this finding to present day logging
operations means that British Columbia must  make  up  her  mind
where private privileges end and obligations commence.

The  question at issue is simply this: where the public interest
is so greatly involved, has the logger the right to  remove  his
timber  in  such  a  manner as to destroy the chances of the new
crop on the land for decades to come?

Mr. H.R. MacMillan, first Chief Forester of this  Province,  now
one  of  the  Province's  leading lumbermen, said in public this
year:

   "We have not yet taken steps to ensue  the  permanency  of
   our forest industries ..."
   "The  adoption  of  forest  policies  adequate to maintain
   employment is as important as the  setting  up  of  social
   services ..."
   "We  should have a forest policy and put it quickly before
   the public, clearly, forcibly, constantly."

BEN is archived on gopher freenet.victoria.bc.ca. The URL is:
gopher://freenet.victoria.bc.ca:70/11/environment/Botany/ben
Also archived at   http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/ben/