Lemna and oxygen transport

gclingen at aol.com gclingen at aol.com
Thu Nov 21 19:41:06 EST 1996

Hello,

     I am conducting a project in which Lemna
minor being grown in municipal effluent is
used as food for Tilapia (Oreochromis
mossambicus X O. aureus). The original
objective was to do a direct comparison between
Azolla sp. and Lemna sp. grown in this high
nutrient environment as food for the same fish.
Unfortunately, a cyanobacteria (I believe it is
oscillatoria) formed a dense mat under the
surface of the Azolla, which promptly died. The
same cyanobacteria seems only to slow the growth
of duckweed. My current theory is that the
cyanobateria mat prevented the Azolla from
getting oxygen from the water, killing the roots.
Does anyone know if duckweed have lacuna or other
oxygen transporting mechanisms which would allow
it to live in this oxygen impoverished environment?
I know that rooted aquatic macrophytes have many
such mechanisms since the mud in which they grow
is almost always anaerobic. Floating plants like
duckweed and Azolla have roots relatively close
to the surface, where normal O2 diffusion keeps
oxygen levels high, so I do not know if they
normally require leaf to root oxygen transport
mechanisms. At the same time, I would like to
see if Azolla have oxygen transporting mechanisms.
Please send any references you may know of to:
Glenn Clingenpeel
gclingen at aol.com

Thank you.