crop plants

David Walker David at alegba.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 24 04:22:53 EST 1996

S A Croft wrote:

> It has been suggested to me that there are enough crop plants grown
> world-wide to feed the entire population of the Earth, and the only
> reason that food shortages occur are due to distribution problems.
> Does anyone know of a study or paper to back this idea up, or any
> suggestions for how long the current rate of food production
> could sustain an ever increasing population if these distribution
> problems were properly addressed?
> Stuart Croft
> Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
> University of Sheffield.

Putting aside water, the problem is not one of crop plants or
distribution as such but of energy. Western agriculture is a very
inefficient means of converting fossil fuels into food. Less
sophisticated agriculture cannot meet the demand. Fossil fuels are
finite, World population growth is still growing at about
300,000/day. Malthus had it about right. See:-
http://www.asu.edu./clas/photosyn/books/walkerbk.html