Anthuriums question

patrick timlin ptimlin at lynx.dac.neu.edu
Sat Nov 30 14:42:12 EST 1996

Hi, I have two small pots each with a Anthurium (Hawaii Flamingo
Flower).  Right now they are placed side by side in a little bowl (almost
globe shaped) which has about an inch of gravel under to allow drainage.
Roots of the plant are starting to outgrow the little pots they came in.

I need advice and what to do.  The globe they are in is about 5 inches
high (maybe a pint of water capacity).  I was thinking of maybe leaving
the gravel in or adding another inch and then taking the plants out of
their pots and putting into this bowl and filling around them and a
little more under them of vermiculite and/or perlite (those two were
suggested on the sheet that came with the plants, I don't really know
what they are).

I figure the extra "planting media" would allow for root growth, while
the gravel bed would allow drainage (since there are no holes in the
bowl) as well as a gage (it is a clear bowl) to keep the water level
below the "planting media" yet, maintining some water in there.  Roots
could grow down into the gravel if they wanted (one of the plants has a
root coming out of the pot and into the gravel now).

Anyway, does this sound reasonable?  I know nothing about these plants
and in fact not a whole lot about plants in general, although I do seem
to have decent success at maintaining houseplants.

Patrick Timlin    ptimlin at lynx.dac.neu.edu    ptimlin at adex.com