Are there any Dicot bulbs or corms?

ima pseudonym fictitious at alias.incognito.myob
Sat Nov 30 01:05:22 EST 1996

In article <01bbdd52$61007fa0$40a235ce at vergara.telebyte.com>,
svergara at pacific.telebyte.com says...
>In discussing the morphology of bulbs and corms in class the other day it
>struck me that all the plants that I am aware of that form true bulbs and
>corms as survival structures are Monocots.  Does anyone know of examples of
>Dicotyledonous bulbs or corms?  If my botany professors mentioned any, I
>missed that point.
>
>As a professional horticulturist and educator I like to know of the
>exceptions in case such a question arises.

Clear examples of corms exist in various herbaceous dicotledons [one example:
Cyclamen spp].  Probably many more exist since a corm isn't really very
different from a short rhizome or tuberous stem.

I can think immediately of very few dicots with bulbs [some species of Oxalis
have bulbs, and perhaps also Achimenes [Gesneriaceae] counts (the latter has
small tubers that are mostly fleshy scale leaves].

cheers