BSPP Presidential Conference, Canterbury, UK December 1996

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Thu Oct 3 04:59:07 EST 1996

I've just received this message about BSPP from Peter Scott at CABI:

        BSPP Presidential Conference, Canterbury, UK December 1996
  Date:
        Wed, 02 Oct 1996 12:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
  From:
        "Peter Scott(Dir Info Inst)" <P.SCOTT at cabi.org>
    To:
        "'Tony Travis'" <ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk>, Dr Andrivon
<andrivon at rennes.inra.fr>,
        APSNet <apsnet at scisoc.org>, Reinhard doelz
<bio-www at comp.bioz.unibas.ch>,
        Julie Lawrence <biosci-help at net.bio.net>, Robert Burns
<burns at sasa.gov.uk>,
        Bruce W Ritchings <bwr at icbr.ifas.ufl.edu>, mike cherry
<cherry at genome.stanford.edu>,
        David Cain <dcain at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>, Ed Rybicki
<ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za>,
        Emily Scott <es1 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk>, Gavin Ash
<gash at csu.edu.au>,
        Chin Khoon Min MSM PP CH <khoon_min.chin at chbs.MHS.CIBA.COM>,
        Thorsten Kraska <kraska at mbox.ipp.uni-hannover.de>,
        Marnix L Bosch <marnix at saul.u.washington.edu>,
        Martin Latterich <Martin_Latterich at qm.salk.edu>,
        Simon Cooper <sjc40 at hermes.cam.ac.uk>, Tom Adams
<tom at bio.tamu.edu>,
        Tom Schneider <toms at ncifcrf.gov>, Martin Wolfe
<wolfe at ipw.agrl.ethz.ch>

I'm preparing my Presidential Address for the British Society for Plant
Pathology's December Conference in Canterbury, and I'd be glad of ideas
from
a wide range of people.

The title is "THE INCREDIBLE PACE OF CHANGE -  INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN
SUPPORT OF PLANT PATHOLOGY". My plan was to range over the following
topics,
with some demonstrations. (For amplification of the topics, see the
papers
that have been invited under these or similar headings at
http://www.bspp.org.uk/dec96con.htm).

1.   Handling facts to produce information -
Handling the information explosion in plant pathology. Data management:
bibliographic; nomenclatural; molecular; etc.

2.   Interpreting information to produce knowledge -
Taxonomic Information Systems; Geographic Information Systems;
Multimedia;
etc.

3.   Using knowledge to support decision making -
Modelling epidemics; Diagnostic tools; Expert Systems for disease
management; etc.

4.   Using knowledge to make predictions -
Epidemic forecasting; Risk analysis

5.   Passing on knowledge in education and training -
New media; Interactive training; Distance learning; etc.

6.   Storing and disseminating information -
Intranets, the Internet, World Wide Web; Electronic publishing; MPPOL
(see
http://www.bspp.org.uk/mppol) ; Opportunities for developing countries.

In any of these areas, or any others, PLEASE SHARE YOUR IDEAS WITH ME
AND
OTHERS by e-mailing to bspplist at bbsrc.ac.uk. Include some or all of this
message in your e-mail if it helps. The new technology gives us a
remarkable
opportunity to start the Conference well ahead of time, and to hit the
ground running when we get to Canterbury (16-19 December)!

If you want to share in this ongoing e-mail discussion and you haven't
yet
joined the BSPPLIST Discussion Group, there's one simple job to do
first.
Send an e-mail containing only the word SUBSCRIBE (don't include a
subject
heading) to bspplist-REQUEST at bbsrc.ac.uk. Then you will automatically
receive other people's messages sent to bspplist at bbsrc.ac.uk.

If later you want to leave the discussion, send an e-mail containing
only
the word UNSUBSCRIBE (don't include a subject heading) to
bspplist-REQUEST at bbsrc.ac.uk.

Some of the recipients of this message are responsible for other
Internet
Discussion Groups or Web sites. Please feel free to post this message or
information about the Conference as you think fit.

Please distribute information about the Conference as widely as you
like.
Everyone is welcome. Please book early to be sure!

Peter
 --
Peter Scott
Director, Information Institute, CAB INTERNATIONAL, Wallingford OX10

President, British Society for Plant Pathology

Work: p.scott at cabi.org     http://www.cabi.org
Home: peter at scottp.demon.co.uk
BSPP: http://www.bspp.org.uk

Information Technology in Plant Pathology and Systematics
BSPP/SA Meeting, University of Kent, 16-19 December 1996
SEE INTERACTIVE PROGRAMME AT
http://www.bspp.org.uk/dec96con.htm
--- cut here ---

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB2 9SB, Scotland, UK.     |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687