Help: Genetically engineered plants.

ANNE KNOX aknox at ca0330.caso.ca.blm.gov
Thu Oct 10 10:23:52 EST 1996

On 10 Oct 1996, S A Croft wrote:

> Hi, I'm doing a project on the release of genetically engineered plants
> into the environment.  Can anyone recommend any references and/or
> addresses to write to for further information on any aspect of this
> subject??  Any help would be gratefully recieved.  Thanks in
> anticipation, Stuart Croft.
> Email: S.A.Croft at Sheffield.ac.uk

As long as your at it, don't ignore the *patenting* of genetically
engineered food plants by large agri-chemical companies in the U.S. and
abroad.  Protesters of the patenting of living things are really stirring
things up in India and parts of Europe.  In the US, we cannot protest
patents, but coalitions have formed here that are pressing Congress to
debate this issue.  When you consider that any research done on these
engineered plants will result in royalties to the patent holding company,
it's clear that most of the future research will be done by the
agro-chemical companies themselves - you should consider the implications
when you research your project.

- Anne