Organic Hydroponics

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Fri Oct 18 11:10:37 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/plants #2313, from brateaver at aol.com, 1605 chars, 3 Oct 1996
06:57:04 -0
> Comment to 2293.
> ----------
> Article: 10882 of bionet.plants
> From: brateaver at aol.com (BRateaver)
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Subject: Re: Organic Hydroponics
> Date: 3 Oct 1996 06:57:04 -0400
> Sender: root at newsbf02.news.aol.com
>
> If you are replying to me, the CEC stuff is all part of the myth that
> plant roots "exchange" nutrients with ions attached to the soil clay
> particles having surface negative charges.
>
> This is not the case, because the roots are not in contact like that.
They
> are enclosed in a thick gelatinous layer, the mucigel.
>
> All those sketches showing naked root hairs in contact with the clay
> particles are not true to actuality. They give a false impression.
>
> Also, there is always talk about organisms that "break down". They do
but
> they ALSO BUILD UP. That is how they chelate minerals, form compounds.
>
> Also, hydroponic solutions eliminate mycorrhizal aid.
>
> Also, hydroponics is not a natural type of medium for land plants.
Water
> plants have specially designed tissues for aqueous
environment--aerating
> tissue---so you will not get that if you immerse a carrot in water
> solution.
>

> B. Rateaver
I would be most grateful for an explanation of the way in which the
mucigel (which is not in contention) alters the behaviour of, say a
nitrate or potassium ion.Nitrate, potassium or any other ion for that
matter can diffuse through gels quite well. It might also be worth
mentioning that mucigels can have quite high CEC (cation exchange
capacities) which MAY be why they are important. To dismiss CEC without
explaining why is a little too close to "gravity is a myth - the earth
sucks" for my liking.
Peter Harris,
Reading, UK.