Disinfectant for tissue culture?

Fure-Chyi Chen ³¯ºÖºX furechen at UNIX2CC.NPPI.EDU.TW
Fri Sep 6 22:17:14 EST 1996

Once you get contamination, it is difficult to rescue the explants. The
best way to prepare the explant is to keep the stock plant in a clean
place and water + fertilize from the soil level without touching the leaf
or shoot area. Some spray with fungicide such as benomyl will help plant
clean and healthy. For sterilizing plant parts (explants), usually you
can take a clean shoot (or any other suitable part), removed lower
leaves, wash with soap or house detergent, put in 10% of commercial
bleach (such as chlorox, dilute 1/10) with 1-2 drops of detergent, shake
the bottle (container) once in a while until 10-15 min (depending on your
material), wash in sterile water 3-5 times, then excise the tip or your
target part, put it in suitable medium. For sterilization of culture
media, people usually put them in an autoclave for 15-20 min. Microwave
sterilization probably is not as reliable as the normal method. Good luck
on your TC.

Fure-Chyi Chen
Department of Plant Industry
National Pingtung Polytech. Inst.