Disinfectant for tissue culture?

Charles Hesselein chessele at acenet.auburn.edu
Mon Sep 16 11:36:29 EST 1996

In <coconutz-1509961336440001 at news.cris.com> coconutz at cris.com (Cuckoo 4 Coconutz) writes:

>> In <50q303$eom at usenetw1.news.prodigy.com> FMFR33A at prodigy.com (Henry
>> Kuska) writes:
>> >
>> >    I am a retired chemist who is trying to do rose plant tissue
>> culture
>> >at home in a sunroom-greenhouse.  I use a microwave oven for
>> >sterilization and a fishtank turned on its side as a clean area.
>> >Needless to say I get more contamination than I would like.  Is there
>> >chemical that I could add to the solution to kill the mold but not
>> bother
>> >the plant tissue?

You might also try doing your work in a steamy kitchen or bathroom which
should help keep the dust down and reduce contamination.

*    Charles P. (Chazz) Hesselein         *
*    Extension Horticulturist, ACES       *
*    chesssele at acenet.auburn.edu          *
*    1-334-342-2366  fax: 1-334-342-1022  *