Quiz question.. Can anyone here help??

Roger Whitehead rwhitehead at cix.compulink.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 15:53:57 EST 1996

> >16.  Which plant derives it's name from the Latin
> >     for _ of milk _ because of the milky liquid it can exude
> >     when cut?
> All I have been able to find is a tiny reference to this
> 'Lactuca canadensis - Asteraceae' but is there a more commonly named
> answer??

The genus Lactuca is otherwise known as Lettuces. Indeed, the example
you quote is more commonly called Wild Lettuce (also Wild Opium,
Horseweed, Trumpet Milkweed, Butterweed, Devil's Ironweed, Fallweed,
Fireweed, Florida Blue Lettuce and Tall Lettuce, among other names).

Roger

Roger Whitehead, Office Futures
14 Amy Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0PX, England
Tel +44 1883 713074; Fax +44 1883 716793
rwhitehead at cix.compulink.co.uk)
.