leaf preservatives

Michael L Roginsky d_micro at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 26 16:25:35 EST 1996

In <526nbs$1qb8 at acs1.acs.ucalgary.ca> cosman at acs.ucalgary.ca (Steve
Cosman) writes:

>My mother asked me a question regarding leaf preserving.
>She's got some (dead, of course) four-leafed Clovers and
>wants me to find out how to treat them to preserve that
>fresh green appearance.  (i.e. Soak in something.  What?)
>
>Steve
>email: cosman at acs.ucalgary.ca

I have experienced limited success using "silica gel" that comes packed
with instruments to prevent moisture damage. When dry the granules are
deep blue; when moist they turn white. The color preservation is the
hardest. Another process is freeze drying by dropping the temperature
under high vaccuum conditions. This may affect the looks of the
finished product as well. I have not tried this method. Cheers...:)
Micro.