Can anyone help identify this plant?

Timothy Albert Haas thaas at larry.cc.emory.edu
Fri Sep 27 08:27:55 EST 1996

When I was a teenager, I got this plant from a teacher of mine.  She told
me it was called "Star of Bethlehem."  It is clearly some type of
succulent:  thick leaves and tolerated drying out completely.  The leaves
are flat with scolloped edges.  The seem to emerge from the stem almost
like the stem just flattens out.  They are like 6-12 inches long, and
perhaps 2 inches wide.  There is no symmetrical shape to the plants,
leaves and stems seem to can get (for my family, at least) 3-4 feet
tall.  It blooms only at night, and the blossom will open only once--by
the next morning it has closed.  The stem the blossom is on sort of grows
downward, then curves upward slightly, sort of like a side-ward "J".  Any
suggestion what this might be, and a book that would help in a positive
identification?