scale on ferns

Charles Hesselein chessele at acenet.auburn.edu
Mon Sep 30 08:08:31 EST 1996

In <52hic4$3ee at freenet-news.carleton.ca> de310 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Roberts) writes:

>scale are insects, not reproductive spores, kill
>them with dormant (horticultural (mineral)) oil or
>pyrethrins

Yes, scale are insects but it is also true that they have a parasitic
relationship with their hosts.  Oils work very well at controlling them
but I would be hesitant to use them on a sensitive plant like a fern
without testing the spray on a frond or two.  Do not use a dormant oil.
There are safer "summer" oils available.  Mineral oil may also work.  I
don't know how well pythrins work on scale insects but I do know that
orthene works well and is safe to use with ferns.

Chazz

*    Charles P. (Chazz) Hesselein         *
*    Extension Horticulturist, ACES       *
*    chesssele at acenet.auburn.edu          *
*    1-334-342-2366  fax: 1-334-342-1022  *