Perlite safety?

Eric Nitardy ericn.primenet.com
Mon Sep 30 14:23:02 EST 1996

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:27:36 +1000, Mike
<s_mka1 at eduserv.its.unimelb.EDU.AU> wrote:

>I use a perlite/vermiculite/sand mix for potting up plants for research.
>When pouring perlite, a lot of dust is generated, despite hosing to
>reduce this.  One supplier I recently spoke to mentioned something about
>perlite dust being as bad as asbestos, however I've been unable to find
>any reference to this in Medline or anywhere else I've looked.  There are
>certainly no warnings on the bags of the stuff.
>
>Has anyone else heard of a dust inhalation danger with perlite?
>References would be good too.
>
>Thanks.

It is my unsterstanding that breathing the dust of perlite is
potentially harmful just as breath any fine dust might be, but it is
not fine enough to get deeply in the lungs as asbestos and tobacco
smoke does and so far has not been found to be carcinogenic. So wear a
dust mask.