Genetically altered food - evidence of benefit or harm?

K N and P J Harris ecoli at
Wed Apr 23 12:47:40 EST 1997

> ==========
> bionet/plants #4171, from taquilla at, 1517 chars, Sun  20 Apr
97 12:13:32
> Comment to 4161.
> ----------
> Article: 12786 of bionet.plants
> From: taquilla at (Tracy Aquilla)
> Newsgroups:,bionet.plants,bionet.toxicology,sci.agriculture,sci.b
> Subject: Re: Genetically altered food - evidence of benefit or harm?
> Date: Sun, 20 Apr 97 12:13:32 GMT
> In Article <01bc4d86$0a6e79e0$04f10198 at bwt>, "Denise Melanson"
> <dmmelans at> wrote:
> >
> >I probably should not comment one way or another about this subject,
> >
> >The FACT is, we eat DNA every day from every single organism we
> >raw, cooked or otherwise, and although I am not sure whether the
results of
> >this FACT have been studied (I don't know what the control could be),
> >fail to see how it would matter to our very rigorous digestive
systems the
> >source of that DNA, be it bacterial, fungal, animal, or plant.
> Good point. As a matter of fact, fresh foods also have bacteria and
> on the surface. We already consume the DNA of microbes with our food.
> Tracy
Not only that but if you are into live yoghourt you have probably
consumed several thousand completely new mutant bacteria per pot ! Where
does that leave genetic engineering by comparison ?
Peter Harris,
Reading, U.K.