Genetically altered food - evidence of benefit or harm?

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 23 17:55:24 EST 1997

I am much more worried about what happens when genes for herbicide and pest
resistance and such make it into weed species that can interbreed with
altered crop plants.  Here in Texas, grain sorghum and Johnson grass can
cross.  So can domesticated cucurbits and wild gourds and grain quinoa and
weedy chenopods in other parts of the world, etc, etc.  If we are not
extremely careful with bio-engineered crop plants, we will find ourselves
facing some Superweeds that nothing will get rid of.

M. Reed
Biology Department
Texas A&M