Plant communication

AUDREY CASALAINA n1386875 at sparrow.qut.edu.au
Sun Apr 27 23:46:14 EST 1997

I know of another instance as Michael said where plants protect eachother
and that is an article I once read on Methyl Jasmonate (the hormone) which
stimulates the biosynthesis of natural insecticides in neighbouring plants
of the same species.

I haven't got the details of the article in front of me but If you are
interested I can get them.

It refers to damaged leaves producing a secondary metabolite (meth jas)
which in turn stimulates the production of furanocoumerans in neighbouring
plants which protects them from herbivourous damage.

There are other articles that I know of that involve plant communication
but they are basically communication within themselves not other plants.

Hope I was helpful,

Audrey

      AA      UUU       UUU   DDDDD
     AAAA    UU UU     UU UU DDD DDD
    AA  AA      UU     UU    DD    DD
   AA    AA     UU     UU    DD     DD
   AA    AA     UU     UU    DD      DD
  AA      AAAA  UU     UU    DD       DD
  AA   AAAAAAA   UU     UU   DD       DD
  AAAAAAAAAA     UU     UU   DD       DD
 AAAAAA    AA    UU     UU   DD      DD   oo
 AA        AA    UU     UU   DD    DDD   oooo
 AA        AA     UUU UUUUU UDD   DDD    oooo
AA          AA     UUUUU UUUUDDDDDD       oo

  a.casalaina at student.qut.edu.au

"The Indians win it, the Indians win it.  Oh my God, the Indians win it!"
HARRY DOYLE 1992