oenotherae biennisolei

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Aug 8 16:52:11 EST 1997

In article <19970808090801.FAA27538 at ladder02.news.aol.com>,
TRAITEUSSE <traiteusse at aol.com> wrote:
>oenotherae biennisolei is a Chinese remedy.
>I haven't found it in my few books on Chinese medicine.
>Can  anyone give me any information about it or a common name?

It's probably Oenothera biennis olei, i.e. Evening Primrose Oil.
I was under the impression that Oenothera was a new world genus,
and Oenothera biennis was native to the U.S. midwest, but perhaps
someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The seeds of Evening Primrose contain lipids that may be precursors
to the human hormone group called prostaglandins.  I think Evening
Primrose Oil is sold as remedy for the symptoms of menopause.  You
may wish to do a Medline search to see if there is any scientific
research on the therapeutic properties of this material.