What is this tree called?

Alfred Falk falk at arc.ab.nospam.ca
Fri Aug 15 10:23:38 EST 1997

In article <01bca8c4$2ea430e0$0c9edec2 at hamren-l.demon.co.uk>, "Gustav Hamren-Larsson" <gustav at hamren-l.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>I am doing some plant Identification and am not sure what the plant in the
>enclosed file is.
>guess so far include Elm, Ash, and Beech

Definitely not Ash (Fraxinus sp.).  Ash have compound leaves.  In your
sample each leaf is growing separately from a woody stem.

Could be elm (Ulmus sp.), although the serrations in the leaf margin are
finer than the species I know.  The obvios "mismatch" in the margins on
either side of the petiole is typical of elm, but might occur in other
genera.

Beech don't grow anywhere I've lived, so I couldn't say anything about
that.

Alfred Falk                       falk at arc.ab.ca              A L B E R T A
Information Systems Dept          (403) 450-5185            R E S E A R C H
Box 8330, Station F                                           C O U N C I L
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6H 5X2
http://saturn.arc.ab.ca/~falk/                     http://www.arc.ab.ca/

"Some people crave baseball ... I find this unfathomable, but I can
easily understand why a person could get excited about playing the
bassoon."                                          - Frank Zappa