Accessing Biological Diversity: Natural Product Drug Leads

James W. Larkin jamesl at healthtech.com
Wed Aug 20 07:40:42 EST 1997

Cambridge Healthtech Institute’s
Accessing Biological Diversity: Natural Product Drug Leads
November 20-21, 1997
Hyatt Regency La Jolla, San Diego, California

Sources of Biological Diversity
Plant Cell Culture: A Novel Platform for Drug Discovery
        Dr. Christopher J. Pazoles, Phytera, Inc.
Assessing the Biomedical Future of Marine Microorganisms
        Dr. William Fenical, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
Discovery and Bioproduction of Novel Compounds from Marine and
Halophilic Bacteria and Thermophilic Cyanobacteria
        Dr. Barbara J. Javor, CalBio Marine Technologies, Inc.
Cyanobacteria: Cosmopolitan Microorganisms That Rival Streptomycetes
as Sources of Bioactive Secondary Metabolites
        Dr. Gregory M.L. Patterson, University of Hawaii
Transgenic Approaches to Identifying Compounds from Unculturable Fungi
        Dr. Thomas Adams, Texas A&M University and Millennium
        Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Harvesting New Antimicrobial Agents From Marine Sources
        Dr. David Manyak, Oceanix Biosciences

Technology and Screening
Hay Baling vs. the Needle in the Haystack: A Comparison of Approaches
to Biodiversity Prospecting from the Collector’s Perspective
        Dr. Douglas Daly, New York Botanical Garden
Natural Products: A Diverse Source of High-Quality Lead Compounds
        Dr. Ajay N. Jain, MetaXen LLC
Diverse Natural Product Libraries for Use in High-Throughput Screening
        Dr. Ursula Mocek, Panlabs, Inc.
Novel Approaches Towards Complete Diversity Profiles in Complex Matrices
        Dr. Reimar Bruening, Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc.
SuperFluids™ Fractionation of Diverse Marine Microorganisms for Drug
Discovery
        Dr. Trevor Castor, Aphios Corporation

Combinatorial Products
Combinatorial Biology and Integrated Screening Technologies for
Natural Products Lead Discovery
        Dr. David H. Sherman, ChromaXome Corporation
Combinatorial Optimization of Natural Product Drug Leads: The
KombiNATURik Approach
        Dr. Kai Bindseil, Analyticon GmbH
Natural and Combinatorial Products
        Dr. Salvatore Forenza, Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical
        Research Institute
New Natural Product Templates for Combinatorial Chemistry and Drug
Design
        Dr. John Nielsen, The Technical University of Denmark
Utilization of Microalgal Technology to Develop Novel Leads and Tools
for Drug Discovery
        Dr. Hao Chen, Martek Biosciences Corporation
Making New Molecules the Natural Way Through Combinatorial Catalysis
        Dr. Douglas S. Clark, University of California, Berkeley and
        EnzyMed, Inc.

Applications
Discovery of Novel, Naturally Occurring, Anti-HIV Leads Using a
LiveVirus/Host-Cell Infectivity Bioassay
        Dr. Michael R. Boyd, National Cancer Institute
Calanolides from Exotic Plant Protective Against HIV-1
        Dr. Michael Flavin, MediChem Research, Inc.
Discovery and Characterization of Novel Natural Products That May Be
of Value in the Prevention of Human Cancer
        Dr. John Pezzuto, University of Illinois at Chicago
Potential for Treating CNS Disorder Using Small Peptide Molecules from
the Venom of Predatory Marine Cone Snails (Conus)
        Dr. Tyler McCabe, Cognetix, Inc.

The level of diversity and biofunctionalism available in nature far
exceeds what has been produced thus far using traditional medicinal
chemistry or even combinatorial libraries. The resources of plants,
marine organisms, microorganisms, and even terrestrial organisms have
a great deal to offer drug discovery efforts, particularly when newer
approaches are used to enhance the potential for identifying bioactive
leads. Taking cues from plants or other remedies used historically as
folk remedies or in other cultures, examining species that have barely
been examined—such as extremophile organisms, most marine species, or
organisms present in plants—and applying new technology for
extraction, cell culture, or derivation of natural compounds are all
strategies that are being employed and will be discussed. A session
highlighting the use of combinatorial biology will also indicate how
newer techniques can be applied for improving the potential of
natural resources as a source of drug lead structures.

HOTEL INFORMATION
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine      T: 619-552-1234
3777 La Jolla Village Drive             F: 619-552-6066
San Diego, CA 92122
Cut-off Date: October 31, 1997          Room Rate: $135 Single/Double
Reservations made after the cut-off date will be accepted on a
space-and-rate-availability basis. Available rooms are limited,
so please book early.  Please identify yourself as a Cambridge
Healthtech Institute conference attendee to receive the reduced
room rate.

TRAVEL INFORMATION
TRAVELWORLD                             T: 717-288-9311 or 800-828-6033
601 Market Street                       F: 717-288-4693
Kingston, PA 18704
Exclusive airline discounts are available on American Airlines as
well as other specific airlines when tickets are purchased through
Travelworld at least 14 days prior to the meeting date. Some
restrictions apply.

CALL FOR POSTERS
Cambridge Healthtech Institute encourages attendees to gain further
exposure by presenting their work in the poster sessions. Please fill
out the registration form, with the poster title and primary author.
To ensure inclusion in the conference binder, a one-page summary must
be submitted by October 17, 1997.

CALL FOR EXHIBITORS
Space is available for companies interested in exhibiting products
and services related to natural product drug leads. This meeting
should attract up to several hundred senior researchers and managers
representing a broad range of disciplines and perspectives. Please
contact Jim MacNeil of Cambridge Healthtech Institute at 617-630-1341
to obtain an exhibitor package or to inquire about offering a workshop
during the meeting. Exhibit space is limited so call now to reserve a
space at this premier event.

Each registration includes all conference sessions, posters and
exhibits, one luncheon and reception, continental breakfasts, all
refreshment breaks, and a copy of the document binder.

A group rate is available for three or more people from the same
organization. Call for more details.

Handicapped Equal Access: In accordance with the ADA, Cambridge
Healthtech Institute is pleased to arrange for special accommodations
for attendees with special needs. All requests for such assistance
must be submitted in writing to CHI at least 30 days prior to the
start of the meeting.

Substitution/Cancellation Policy
In the event that you need to cancel a registration you may:
        Transfer your registration to a colleague within your
        organization.
        Credit your registration to another Cambridge Healthtech
        Institute program.
        Request a refund minus a $75 processing fee.
        Request a refund minus the cost ($150) of ordering a copy
        of the document binder.
Cancellations will only be accepted up to one week prior to the
conference.

Program and speakers are subject to change.

--------------------------Cut and Print Here------------------------

Yes! |__| Please register me for Natural Product Drug Leads  578E

Academic, Government, Hospital-Affiliated
        |__| Early Registration (by September 5, 1997) $370
        |__| Advance Registration (by October 3, 1997) $395
        |__| On-site or Late Registration $445

Commercial
        |__| Early Registration (by September 5, 1997) $695
        |__| Advance Registration (by October 3, 1997) $795
        |__| On-site or Late Registration $895

FIRST NAME:______________________LAST NAME:__________________________
TITLE: __________________________DIV./DEPT.:_________________________
COMPANY:_____________________________________________________________
ADDRESS:_____________________________________________________________
CITY/STATE/ZIP: ______________________COUNTRY:_______________________
TELEPHONE:____________________________FAX:___________________________
E-MAIL:______________________________________________________________

|__| Please send information on exhibiting and opportunities to
     present workshops.
|__| Enclosed is a check or money order payable to Cambridge
     Healthtech Institute, drawn on a U.S. bank, in U.S. currency.
|__| Please charge: |__| AMEX (15 digits) |__| Visa (13 to 16 digits)
                    |__| MasterCard (16 digits)
CARD #:______________________________________________________________
EXP. DATE:___________________________________________________________
CARDHOLDER’S NAME:___________________________________________________
SIGNATURE:___________________________________________________________
CARDHOLDER’S ADDRESS (if different from above):______________________

|__| Reserve with credit card information listed above and invoice
     me. (Invoices must be paid in full by the deadline to retain
     registration discount. Invoices unpaid one week prior to
     conference will be billed to credit card at full registration
     rate.) If you plan to register on site, please check with CHI
     beforehand for space availability.
|__| I am interested in presenting a poster at NATURAL PRODUCT DRUG
     LEADS and will provide an abstract by October 17, 1997.

FAX or MAIL your registration to:

Cambridge Healthtech Institute
1037 Chestnut Street
Newton Upper Falls,  MA  02164