Conservation Value of Golf Courses

Fri Aug 29 14:39:06 EST 1997

At 11:25 AM -0400 8/29/97, Ralph O. Erickson wrote:
>Gustav Hamren-Larsson wrote:
>>
>> I am doing an investigation into the Conservation Value of old and new Go=
lf
>> Courses, and I was wondering whether anybody knew of any studies that hav=
>> already been done into the wildlife/conservation value of Golf Co
>
>	I know of no studies of golf courses from this point of view. But
>IMHO, their conservation value is obviously NEGATIVE, usually entailing
>large-scale elimination of natural habitats. Also golf courses make
>continuing demands on resources such as water and plant nutrients.
>
>R. O. Erickson

I agree with Ralph, and would add that the fertilizer,
herbicide, and pesticide runoff from golf courses has
particularly harsh impact on local streams and associated
ponds.  I consider American golf courses as ecological
disasters!

If you think a golf course does not use these chemicals,
you might ask yourself how the grass seems to have no
weeds in it, how nutrients stay in soil that is watered
many times daily, how fungal diseases from all the clippings
and wounded leaves from daily mowing are controlled, and
how a lawn could withstand the traffic of hundreds of
people around one tiny hole each day.  Yup, chemicals!

Here in CT we are learning that what we dump, sprinkle, or
spray in our environment ends up in our drinking water with
time.  Of course it only makes common sense, but aren't
those greens puurrttyy?  It makes me sick every time I
see them.  Sort of like the once-popular turquoise contact
lenses...no body has eyes that color naturally!

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479