Pines to broadleaf on Sand Dunes

kbonnici at ivory.trentu.ca kbonnici at ivory.trentu.ca
Wed Dec 31 17:50:47 EST 1997

In article <B0D0443A96683B8C8 at 0.0.0.0>, groveti at gol.com (D J Roberts) writes:

>Does anybody have any experience in this field? or any hints on where to
>ask, textbooks, etc?

I'd seek out individuals/organisations in your area who have experience in the
field, native plant nurseries/community gardens, naturalists/field botanists
(some of which could be found at naturalist clubs or horticultural societies),
environmental organisations, governmental ministries, botany/forestry
professionals, University profs and students, etc. Shoreline restoration has
become a pretty hot field here in Ontario, so resources abound. I'm not sure
how similar the situation is in Japan though! I'd also try some web surfing
and posting to local newsgroups. And of course, check out libraries! (you
might find some small library resources through envt'l orgs too.)

>Another problem: - does anyone have any experience of importing plants into
>Japan? I have bought small plants with me from Europe without too much
>difficulty at the airport - except their roots are washed...!! but larger,
>unaccompanied plants?

My advice in this area would be to not bother importing plants! My two
main reasons for this are A) that exotics can become invasive and troublesome
to plant communities (and in turn animal habitat), and B) that there are
probably some wonderfully vigorous native plants which would suit your purposes
very well (and *create* animal habitat). Using local, native nursery stock (that
is well suited to the site) would probably also be a more economical pursuit.

I am not at all familiar with Japan's flora, so unfortunately I can't offer
any specific advice to you in species selection. Common genera used in my area
(Peterborough, Ontario, Canada) for shoreline restoration include willow
(Salix - a *huge* genus, there must be some species native to Japan), dogwood
(Cornus) and elder (Sambucus). These three genera have particularly vigorous
root systems, like damp/wet areas, and are common native plants in my here. I
think the best advice I can offer you would be to check out sites similar to
your restoration site, identify the native species that seem to thrive, and
use the same plants at your restoration site.

>I'd be very grateful for any help you can give
>
>David Roberts

Well David, I hope that was helpful for you!

Kellie