Effects of Sound on Plants

taguebw at wfu.edu taguebw at wfu.edu
Thu Feb 6 07:29:43 EST 1997

J. Steinbrenner wrote:

> Looking for any research done on the effects of sound on plants for a
> elementary school science project.  Any ideas?

There is absolutely no reliable evidence that sound has any effect on
plants.

There is one published paper from Janet Braam of Rice University in
the journal Cell a few years ago that indicates that music (Talking
Heads at about 80 decibels as I remember) has no effect on gene
expression while touch, wind and rain DO effect gene expression.

Best idea would be to give up this project.

Brian